Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Our First Road Trip


I do love to travel!! I didn't realize it at the time that the memories we made on our vacation we took during those first 5 years would have to last us a long time before we took another vacation. I am so glad we fully enjoyed our time together. Our next vacation was about 15 years later.
I know you are on the edge of your seat just waiting to find out where we went and how we got there. I will not leave you in suspense any longer. It was the GRAND CANYON!!!! Who doesn't want to see a really big hole in the ground. And to top it all off we saw it from our RV Camper. I love flying, I love train rides, I love going on cruise ships but small little truck campers are not my top choice. I have our first night embedded in my memory for life. It was pouring down rain, I mean really, it was coming down in bucket loads. It was cold and dark out. We pulled into the AA Campground. Guy said "You need to get out and help me back the camper in". This is the time I look at him and would have said "REALLY" if we said that back then. So I got out in the dark, cold typhoon weather to help back up my man and his RV. As soon as I got behind the truck I fell into a hole filled with mud. Guy cracks his window open and asked where I am and why am I not helping. My arms are waving and I start laughing and more laughing. Now I get to go take a cold shower in the public bathroom in the middle of the night. Finally, this night is over. That was Day 1. Can you tell this my first time camping?
Ready for a new day. The plan for Day 2 was to make it to Texas. I was really excited until I realized that on Day 4 we were finally coming out of Texas. And that was driving straight through. We were diffidently not in Florida anymore. Lots and lots of rocks and mountains and the open road. I am so glad I saw that part of the country before I saw "Hills Have Eyes".
All I wanted to do when we got to the Grand Canyon was take the donkey ride to the bottom. And after a normal night of camping we got up the next morning to start our adventure to the bottom of the canyon. Included in the price was a Boxed Lunch for all the riders. It takes 4 hours to get to the bottom. The path your donkey walks on was about 8 feet wide. We were instructed to never let the donkey face the wall because he will back up right over the edge. No pressure there!!!! At the bottom we ate our Boxed Lunch. When we got to the bottom I fell off my donkey and my foot was stuck in the thing where you put your foot. We stayed at the bottom for about 1 hour and then the climb back to the top. Same path back up.
I had so much fun that day!!!! Now, the next day was a different story. One word. SORE!!!!!!!
Now on to Colorado, where we climbed and hiked in the mountains. We made friends along the way. There was this older couple that happened to stay at the same campsite every night that we stayed in. Now, when we take vacations we are the older couple. I hear a song coming on "It's the Circle of Life".






Our first vacation was coming to an end and I can honestly say that RV Campers are still not my first choice but there not my last anymore.






              HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
       
    YES, this was Guy and I. It must have been the "In Thing" to get your childs picture taken on a pony.
         
   

No comments:

Post a Comment