Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Night We Met

It was the weekend after Thanksgiving in 1974. I was a senior at Colonial High School in Orlando, Florida. One weekend a boy from my school called and asked me to go with him to a Debutant Ball. I'm really not going to share my opinion about Debutant Balls because I am now related to one of those Debutantes. And to be honest I still don't really get it. But it seemed like it might be fun, so why not. The event was at the Country Club. I had never been to a country club before or worn a formal dress. So this was kind of a BIG deal night for me. I felt like Cinderella going to the ball. Pretty much as soon as we got there my date took off and hung out with the guys all night. So I just sat and watched everyone having a good time. Then the night started to get a little more interesting. I guess as the story goes it was getting close to midnight so my Prince Charming needed to show up soon. And just then a guy sitting at the next table stood up and asked if anyone wanted to do the bump with him. That was a popular dance. My girlfriend said "Terri Will" and pushed me out on the dance floor. I thought to myself he's cute and I'll never see him again so why not. I didn't know his ENTIRE family and EXTENDED family was there. Before the night ended I got to dance one more time with this guy I just met. I mean really his name is Guy. This time a slow dance which was a little awkward because he brought a date with him, also. But she didn't want to dance and my date was still hanging out with the guys. I found out later he hung out with the guys because he likes hanging out with the guys if you know what I mean. Four days later my Prince Charming called me and asked me out. And that's how we met almost 37 years ago. To be continued and "In Retrospect" we'll talk again tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment