Friday, November 25, 2011

A NEW DIRECTION

Up till now I have been writing only about the first 5 years of our married life together. And before I move on to the next chapter I want to re-cap our life now as a family.
In-Retrospect, I can see that throughout my life I have always desired to have balance in my life. And this was one of those moments in time that seemed in complete balance. We both had good jobs, two fairly new cars, we enjoyed  married life, we just had our first child, we just moved into our new home, we attended a great church, we were close with our family and we had good friends.
As I mentioned in another blog that I desired Guy to get a little more spiritual. I was thinking more along the lines of him becoming a deacon in the church we attended. But God had different plans.
One morning Guy started sharing that he has been feeling like God might want us to go live in another country as missionaries. And what is strange is that I didn't freak out because God was laying on my heart the same thing.
We didn't know where, when or with who. So for fun we looked at a world map and closed our eyes and pointed. Our finger landed on Ecuador, South America. I thought Lets go for best 2 out of 3. I looked for Hawaii then closed my eyes and pointed. We started searching information about Ecuador. We called the Baptist Foreign Mission Board to ask if there were any openings or needs in Ecuador. And there wasn't. We knew there were so many organizations that we could apply for but which one do you pick? So we  prayed and  asked God to send the mission organization to us. In the meantime, while working on the fire department Guy started attending bible college. He was preparing himself that when a mission organization does contact us, we would be prepared.
Then one afternoon I needed to send Guy to the store to pick up some bread. When he came back home he said he ran into someone from church. His name is Dick Rutherford. Guy said we were invited to their house for dinner that night. They were having a cookout with some missionaries that our church supported. We were excited to meet a missionary from another country. This was a great opportunity to ask questions about missionary life. Take one guess of which country they were missionaries of. Your right, ECUADOR. And if that wasn't weird enough they just happened to have an application to become a missionary with the organization they were with. The mission organization was HCJB.
I learned at that moment, God knows my address and has a plan for our life. He didn't share the whole plan at once and I am thankful He didn't. But He did give us our next step to take and the faith to go through it. God provides everything you will need to do what he has directed you to do.
In retrospect we will talk again soon.

1 comment: